Characteristics of a mom that would love a bouquet of flowers:
- The glamorous mom that holds dinner parties on a regular basis
- Gardening means picking out the plants she likes and having them planted by a gardener. Or maybe she had a landscaper design everything for her.
- She loves flowers inside the home more than outside.
- She goes to the nail salon for her regular mani-pedi.
- Her style is more chic and clean which she partners with some perfectly lined eyes and deep red lips.
What flowers to get her:
- No roses please. Save the romantic flowers for your girl. Yes, get your girl some flowers too.
- Ask your girlfriend what her mom's favorite color/flower is and incorporate it into the bouquet. (See previous post)
- No need for a card, in my opinion.
- Some take into account the meaning of flowers. Here are a list of a few flowers with nice meanings.
- Baby's breath - festivity
- Carnations- gratitude for pink ones and cheerful for yellow ones
- Daisy- innocence
- Freesia- spirited
- Hyacinth- sincerity
- Hydrangea- perseverance
- Jasmine- grace and elegance
Where to buy flowers:
- See aforementioned post
Characteristics of a mom that would love to receive a plant:
- The domestic goddess- she cooks,cleans, and is the captain of the house.
- She likes to get down and dirty...in the garden. She takes care of plants like babies.
- Her garden is her prized trophy. It seems as if she spends just as much time or more working on her garden as she does inside the house.
- Her style is mostly bohemian and free spirited. She likes floral prints, flowing skirts, and natural hues like tan and gold.
- She rocks the natural look with hardly any make up to cover her beautiful face.
What plant to get her:
- Orchids. This is a no-fail plant to give to moms. They're so beautiful and rather easy to take care of. They also stand for "delicate beauty".
- A small fruit bearing plant like a young calamansi tree. We had one in our garden before and we'd actually use the calamansi for cooking. I remember seeing someone sell young red pepper plants in a bazaar which I thought was a cute gift idea.
- Herbs for a mom who cooks a lot.
Where to buy plants in Manila:
- Market! Market! in Taguig
- BF Homes in Paranaque
- Weekend bazaars
How to wrap the plant:
- Make sure the pot the plant is in is nice and clean.
- You can wrap the pot with some nice ribbon to add a bit of oomph!
- Here are some other gift wrapping ideas I found:
|Cute Christmas idea from Alex Schlegel via Pinterest|
Last few tips
- Don't spend too much money. You want to impress but you also don't want to appear like you're buying the mom's approval.
- Don't expect that giving something to the mom means instant approval. Be polite and engaging in conversations.
- Match the lovely gift, whether flowers or a plant, with a well dressed boy. Go for pants/ shorts (and no, not those super short shorts from Topman. Sorry.) with a polo shirt and closed shoes. No slippers for dinner please.
- Relax. Breathe. Be yourself.